Thursday, January 24, 2008

The first Death LP


Man, so I just got the first LP by Death a few weeks ago called "Scream Bloody Gore". Of course this LP is a classic to the good old metal head, but it was a first for me, and I was floored to say the least. "Death Metal" always seemed a bit lame to me, but if the first wave of death metal is just like this, count me in...well at least for the early stuff. The first song "Infernal Death" is so awesome. It's as if you are getting your ass kicked over and over again by dudes who just threw out their discharge records for Venom and the first few slayer records. The title track though is really where it's at, no bull shit here. What really makes this LP work is the middle of the road, not too slick but not too raw production. This is par for the course for most early death metal, but it works. While discovering this band is no big deal, in the context of all the low fi noise psych shit I've been listening to, this is refreshing to say the least, and reinforces the fact that black metal and the "cool to like" southern lord metal isnt the only kinds of metal out there.

No comments: