Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Yoon Youn Sun




Yoon Youn Sun - Wing of Peace

So I just got back from Atlanta, my friend who owns a rad on-line record store called Friendly Fireman Records just turned me on to this. Total early 70s organs meets Nick Drake if he was Korean. Each song is a heart breaker totally. I dunno what the songs are called as they are all in Korean, but the riff from the first song hits you right in the gut. Vocals are also seem to sound as though they were recorded in the red, I chalk this up to maybe not having the studio slickness that others may have. Needless to say, the vocals are the best part of this record. It's as if shes channeling someone else, as cliche as that sounds. The bass is way high in the mix, which actually helps guide the songs pretty well. I know WORLD PSYCHEDELIA (WORLD'S LEADING TERRORIST STATE)the label that re-issued this in America is awesome and as we speak I am getting more Korean Folk/psych records from Friendly Fireman. I can't recommend this enough!!
I'll be playing this in 2 weeks on DNA in the DNA 6pm-8pm fridays on WMUC 88.1 FM Http://www.wmucradio.com

No comments: