Thursday, January 24, 2008

Times New Viking blah blah blah


My friend richie sent me a copy of Times New Viking 2 years ago. I was stoked on this band, couldn't find much on them. I don't know if at the time it was out on siltbreeze or not, but I tried to find anything on them, no go. A few months later I saw them open up for Clockcleaner (before that big tour, I believe it was just a random date) I was not impressed. I for some reason thought the songs were just flat out boring live, though I think this had more to do with the fact that everyone was pretty drunk.
Fast forward a few months, new LP on siltbreeze, was good but I wasn't impressed as the first record. So I hear this third record, not thinking much, and I'm pretty much floored. Yeah we all know pitchfork and the others love this record, but for the first time in a long time, the hype is pretty much true at least on this record. Who cares if it's lo fi or not, its good, and the one thing that is impressive is that its "lo-fi-ness" is not something for the hell of it, why pay 1000's of dollars when you can make an LP thats just as good as anything else. Sure we're gonna hear about this "sebadoh lo fi" come back, but who cares, believe or not, people have been making albums like this for years. Even long before the late 80s Lo fi movement or whatever the fuck it was. All those killed by death LPs sound like shit, and they still slay it today. Whatever, the TNV album is a killer and shit. Good for them, I wonder what stuff that keyboard player sold on ebay.

No comments: